Being Your Own Best Support

Being Your Own Best Support

So often when we are around people who irritate us we use the wrong strategies to deal with it. Sometimes we mis-diagnose what is underlying their behavior. Sometimes we react with our own blindspots. 

Different things will push your buttons than push mine but underneath those irritations are often the same core issues. Let’s look briefly at the different ways that insecurity can show up. 

Someone who is insecure will try to impress and try to feel good about themselves by looking better than others. This can come out in so many ways: 

  • as outright bragging, 
  • by frequently being in teacher mode, 
  • by doing lots of talking and not listening, 
  • by telling others what they need to do (even if not asked, even if the person knows), 
  • sarcasm or cutting “humor” in order to feel better by tearing someone else down, 
  • being a hero, frequently, in all kinds of ways, or 
  • presenting as the victim or martyr in life as a way to feel better. 

This list could go on and on. 

The root is that our legitimate need to be seen, known and loved often does not get adequately met. Especially if we have lived a significant number of years with this need not being properly met we keep looking for it to be met. 

One of the problems with this though is that what would have been appropriate behavior as a young person becomes awkward, rude and off-putting as an adult. 

The need to be seen, known and loved remains legitimate but expecting those around us to meet that need often moves us in to unhealthy relationship patterns. 

So, what is the answer? 

It is an ownership issue. When we apply pressure on others, subtle or overtly, to help us feel better about ourself then we are giving away our power. External validation is important and I think we all need to give and receive more of it. However, there is a core amount of feeling really good and secure about who we are that we need to do for ourselves. 

I need to own my need for positive feedback, for compassion and kindness and learn to effectively give that to myself. I need to practice forgiving myself, being gracious with myself when I’ve messed up. 

There is a great old Bob Newhart scene where he, as the psychiatrist, thinks he has the quick fix for his patient’s fear. (If you need a good laugh, here’s the link: Bob Newhart - Stop It Link )

Learning to care for ourself and feel more secure because we regularly offer kindness and compassion to ourself doesn’t just happen because you read the idea in a book or blog. 

What does practicing being your own best support look like? Here are a few ideas: 

  • Pay attention to when you are feeling vulnerable - it could show up in any number of ways, including the ones I listed above 

  • Have something kind ready to say to yourself - something that you would say to a dear friend or something you long for someone else to say to you 

  • Notice when you are comparing yourself to others and choose a kind way of embracing who you get to be and celebrate your uniqueness without needing to compare 

  • Acknowledge when you are feeling hurt by someone else and be willing to ask yourself if their actions touched a nerve because of an area that feels vulnerable 

I’ll leave you with Brene Brown’s wonderful phrase, a great one to own: “I am enough”. 

Until next time, 

Coach Marilyn

Marilyn Orr, MA, CEC, PCC is an Executive and Leadership Coach with Capacity Building Coaching, holding her Professional Certified Coach designation with the International Coach Federation.

Marilyn provides professional coaching for executive and business leaders, mentor coaching for coaches, and leadership development support in the form of coaching skills training and soft-skills development. Reach out to Marilyn for more information.

Marilyn is author of everyday resiliency workbook “How Absorbent Are Your Shocks?”, available on Amazon. Subscribe to “Marilyn’s Musings” twice monthly blogposts for more leadership and professional development content.

32 comments (Add your own)

1. wrote:
Do you have a spam issue on this site; I also am a blogger, and I was curious about your situation; many of us have developed some nice procedures and we are looking to swap methods with other folks, be sure to shoot me an e-mail if interested.

Fri, September 7, 2018 @ 9:37 AM

2. wrote:
There is definately a great deal to find out about this subject.
I like all of the points you made.

Fri, September 7, 2018 @ 8:26 PM

3. wrote:
Hello! This post couldn't be written any better! Reading this post reminds me of my good old room mate!
He always kept talking about this. I will forward this post to him.

Pretty sure he will have a good read. Thanks for sharing!

Tue, October 16, 2018 @ 9:01 PM

4. wrote:
I blog often and I seriously thank you for your information. The article
has truly peaked my interest. I'm going to take a note of your blog and keep checking for new details about once per week.

I opted in for your RSS feed as well.

Wed, November 21, 2018 @ 11:18 AM

5. wrote:
Good day! This is my first visit to your blog!
We are a collection of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
Your blog provided us useful information to work on.
You have done a wonderful job!

Fri, November 23, 2018 @ 4:34 PM

6. wrote:
I think this is among the most significant information for me.
And i'm happy reading your article. But want to commentary on some basic issues, The website taste is
ideal, the articles is in reality great : D. Good job, cheers

Fri, November 23, 2018 @ 6:48 PM

7. wrote:
I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic.
I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding
more. Thanks for excellent information I was looking for this information for my mission.

Tue, November 27, 2018 @ 9:13 PM

8. wrote:
Some truly rattling work on behalf of the owner of this website, perfectly outstanding
written content.

Fri, March 15, 2019 @ 2:32 PM

9. wrote:
Glad to be one of many visitants on this awing site :
D.

Fri, March 22, 2019 @ 10:14 AM

10. wrote:
If some one needs expert view regarding blogging and site-building
afterward i propose him/her to pay a quick visit this web site, Keep up the
good job.

Mon, March 25, 2019 @ 12:26 PM

11. wrote:
If you would like to grow your knowledge simply keep visiting this web page and
be updated with the latest news posted here.

Wed, March 27, 2019 @ 8:04 PM

12. wrote:
Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as
though you relied on the video to make your point. You definitely know what youre talking about, why waste your
intelligence on just posting videos to your weblog
when you could be giving us something informative to read?

Wed, April 10, 2019 @ 3:26 AM

13. wrote:
I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought
this post was great. I don't know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren't already ;) Cheers!

Wed, April 17, 2019 @ 10:19 AM

14. wrote:
Hello.This post was extremely fascinating, particularly
since I was looking for thoughts on this subject last Friday.

Sat, April 20, 2019 @ 6:25 PM

15. wrote:
I am glad that I noticed this blog, precisely the right info that I was searching for!

Tue, April 30, 2019 @ 2:32 PM

16. wrote:
I'm gone to tell my little brother, that he should also go to
see this webpage on regular basis to get updated from most recent news.

Wed, May 1, 2019 @ 9:16 AM

17. wrote:
I think the admin of this website is genuinely working
hard in support of his site, as here every material is quality based stuff.

Sun, May 5, 2019 @ 12:59 PM

18. wrote:
I wanted to thank you for this good read!! I definitely loved every bit of it.
I've got you bookmarked to look at new stuff you post...

Fri, May 10, 2019 @ 12:10 AM

19. wrote:
you are really a just right webmaster. The website loading
speed is incredible. It sort of feels that you are doing any unique trick.
Furthermore, The contents are masterwork. you have performed a great
task in this subject!

Fri, May 10, 2019 @ 1:33 AM

20. wrote:
I haven't checked in here for some time because I thought it was getting boring, but the last few posts are good quality so I guess I
will add you back to my daily bloglist. You
deserve it friend :)

Fri, May 10, 2019 @ 3:02 AM

21. wrote:
Your mode of telling all in this post is really fastidious, every one be
able to effortlessly know it, Thanks a lot.

Fri, May 10, 2019 @ 6:49 PM

22. wrote:
An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a co-worker who has been doing
a little research on this. And he in fact bought me lunch simply because I stumbled upon it for him...
lol. So let me reword this.... Thank YOU for the meal!!
But yeah, thanx for spending some time to discuss
this topic here on your blog.

Fri, May 10, 2019 @ 9:03 PM

23. wrote:
I blog quite often and I really appreciate your information. This article has truly peaked my interest.

I will bookmark your blog and keep checking for new details about once a week.
I subscribed to your RSS feed as well.

Sat, May 11, 2019 @ 2:47 AM

24. wrote:
I am really thankful to the holder of this website who has
shared this enormous article at at this place.

Sat, May 11, 2019 @ 3:23 AM

25. wrote:
We're a bunch of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.
Your site offered us with helpful info to work on. You've
done an impressive task and our whole community shall be thankful to you.

Wed, May 15, 2019 @ 8:09 PM

26. wrote:
I am genuinely grateful to the holder of this site who has shared this
fantastic article at here.

Thu, May 16, 2019 @ 8:41 PM

27. wrote:
I do trust all of the ideas you have introduced on your post.
They are very convincing and can certainly work.
Still, the posts are too brief for starters. Could you please extend them a little from
next time? Thanks for the post.

Fri, May 17, 2019 @ 3:11 AM

28. wrote:
If some one desires to be updated with latest technologies therefore he must be visit this site and
be up to date daily.

Fri, May 17, 2019 @ 9:29 PM

29. wrote:
I do not even understand how I ended up here, however I assumed this submit was great.
I don't know who you might be but certainly you're going to a famous blogger if you are not already.
Cheers!

Sat, May 18, 2019 @ 5:37 PM

30. wrote:
Howdy great blog! Does running a blog such as this take a great deal
of work? I've no understanding of programming but
I was hoping to start my own blog in the near future.
Anyway, should you have any recommendations or techniques for new blog owners please share.
I understand this is off topic however I simply had to ask.

Many thanks!

Sun, May 19, 2019 @ 2:11 PM

31. wrote:
Rattling wonderful info can be found on web blog.

Mon, May 20, 2019 @ 3:49 PM

32. wrote:
I just like the valuable info you supply for your articles.
I will bookmark your weblog and take a look at once more right
here frequently. I'm slightly sure I will learn many new stuff proper right here!
Good luck for the next!

Tue, May 21, 2019 @ 8:05 PM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.

Events Calendar