Good Grief!

Good Grief!

 

There seem to be seasons in life that have more than their normal share of loss. I’m writing this while traveling to grieve the loss of another family member with my husband Bill’s family.

Research has shown that those who see loss and hardship as a normal part of life fair far better than those who, when experiencing it, see themselves as especially hard done by.

That almost feels backwards doesn’t it? Is research suggesting that we be pessimistic? Those who expect all kinds of difficulty do better?

I believe the secret is not in what they expect to be coming but in what they expect of themselves. If I think that my life should be easy and then it isn’t, I am tempted to feel hard done by.

If I expect that life will be full of difficult situations - to love is to lose - then when difficulties come I accept them as part of life and see myself as a normal participant.

Is that pessimistic? Actually, I don’t think so. In reality, expecting hardships and accepting loss as normal allows me to see the blessings and the abundance that is also mine.

This is not an expectant stance that sees negativity and loss everywhere but a realistic view that accepts that we cannot escape loss.

How can we move ourselves in to that more resilient way of seeing the world? If you feel victimized by life when the inevitable hard things happen, how can you move to a more powerful place?


  1. Embrace grieving. When stuff happens, feel it. Own it, wear it, write about it, talk to a friend or therapist about it. Compared to minimizing it, this actually helps you get through the grief period more effectively and quicker. Think of grief as a certain quantity of emotional processing or detoxing that needs to happen for good resolve. I can resist it and it will take longer. I can ignore or repress it and carry it around having it impact me in subtle ways for a long time.
  2. Actively notice the good in the tough situations.  I can think of a few really tough situations in my life where I can’t see the good. Not very many though. Seeing the silver lining doesn’t make the situation easier but it helps us see life less as black and white and more in the vibrant colors that it is. The abuse I have endured will never ever be ok or justified. However, there are many people I have been much more effectively able to support, listen to and help as a result of the pain I have suffered.
  3. Get aggressive at self-care and self-compassion. If you have been reading my blog for awhile you will see some themes here. This point though, cannot be overemphasized! I’m thrilled to have had my amazing niece (Rebecca) introduce me to the work of Dr. Neff (in Austin, TX). Recently Brenda, our incredible colleague, shared an article and a link to a very helpful self-compassion assessment tool.


http://self-compassion.org/test-how-self-compassionate-you-are/

Let's encourage each other with this - share the test, support each other's self-compassion growth!

 

How might you feel at the end of a WHOLE DAY of being kind and loving to yourself?


24 comments (Add your own)

1. AustRona wrote:
Discount Pharmacy In Us Online viagra Online Generic Plavix Cialis 10mg Doctissimo Viagra Prezzo Svizzera

Wed, May 1, 2019 @ 11:32 AM

2. wrote:
Hi, I would like to subscribe for this blog to
get most up-to-date updates, therefore where can i do it please help.

Tue, May 14, 2019 @ 5:45 AM

3. wrote:
This is a great tip particularly to those fresh to the blogosphere.
Short but very accurate information… Thanks
for sharing this one. A must read article!

Mon, May 27, 2019 @ 1:50 AM

4. wrote:
Yes! Finally something about how to get help in windows 10.

Mon, May 27, 2019 @ 12:25 PM

5. wrote:
Very quickly this website will be famous
among all blog people, due to it's good articles

Mon, June 17, 2019 @ 7:10 AM

6. wrote:
Hey I know this is off topic but I was wondering if you knew of any widgets I could add to my blog that automatically tweet my
newest twitter updates. I've been looking for a plug-in like this for quite some time and was
hoping maybe you would have some experience with something like this.
Please let me know if you run into anything. I truly enjoy
reading your blog and I look forward to your new updates.

Tue, June 18, 2019 @ 2:00 PM

7. wrote:
Magnificent goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely magnificent.
I actually like what you have acquired here, certainly like what
you are saying and the way in which you say
it. You make it entertaining and you still take care of to keep it wise.

I can not wait to read far more from you. This
is really a terrific web site.

Thu, July 18, 2019 @ 5:26 PM

8. wrote:
Hi, always i used to check weblog posts here in the early hours
in the dawn, as i love to learn more and more.

Sun, July 21, 2019 @ 4:25 PM

9. wrote:
Hi, I wish for to subscribe for this weblog to take most up-to-date updates,
thus where can i do it please help.

Thu, September 5, 2019 @ 2:21 AM

10. wrote:
Hmm it looks like your site ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum
it up what I submitted and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying
your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything.
Do you have any tips and hints for novice blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it.

Tue, November 12, 2019 @ 1:11 AM

11. wrote:
Sweet blog! I found it while searching on Yahoo News. Do you
have any suggestions on how to get listed in Yahoo News?
I've been trying for a while but I never seem
to get there! Thank you

Sat, November 16, 2019 @ 1:53 AM

12. wrote:
I do not know whether it's just me or if perhaps everybody else
encountering issues with your website. It seems like some of the written text
in your posts are running off the screen. Can somebody else please comment and let me know if this is happening to them as well?

This might be a problem with my browser because
I've had this happen before. Appreciate it

Sat, November 16, 2019 @ 8:45 AM

13. wrote:
Hi there, just became aware of your blog through Google, and found that it's truly informative.

I am going to watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate
if you continue this in future. Many people will be benefited from your writing.
Cheers!

Tue, November 19, 2019 @ 6:35 AM

14. wrote:
Hi there! I could have sworn I've been to this web
site before but after looking at some of the posts I realized it's new to me.
Regardless, I'm certainly delighted I found it
and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back often!

Sun, November 24, 2019 @ 6:08 AM

15. wrote:
Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I'd
figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in trading links or maybe guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa?
My site covers a lot of the same topics as yours and I believe we could greatly benefit from
each other. If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an email.

I look forward to hearing from you! Terrific blog by the way!

Fri, November 29, 2019 @ 4:04 PM

16. wrote:
This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!!
Finally I've found something which helped me. Cheers!

Mon, December 2, 2019 @ 6:21 PM

17. wrote:
It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd definitely donate to this excellent blog!
I suppose for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
I look forward to new updates and will talk about this website with my
Facebook group. Chat soon!

Wed, December 4, 2019 @ 3:06 AM

18. wrote:
This information is invaluable. When can I find
out more?

Fri, December 6, 2019 @ 11:29 AM

19. wrote:
Hey! I know this is somewhat off-topic however I needed
to ask. Does running a well-established blog like yours require a
lot of work? I am brand new to operating a
blog however I do write in my journal on a daily basis.
I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience
and views online. Please let me know if you have any ideas or
tips for new aspiring bloggers. Thankyou!

Sun, December 8, 2019 @ 7:50 PM

20. wrote:
Great info. Lucky me I discovered your website by chance (stumbleupon).
I've bookmarked it for later!

Thu, December 12, 2019 @ 11:49 AM

21. wrote:
Attractive section of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to
claim that I acquire in fact enjoyed account your blog posts.
Anyway I will be subscribing to your feeds and even I success you get entry to constantly quickly.

Thu, December 19, 2019 @ 2:02 AM

22. wrote:
Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!

By the way, how can we communicate?

Thu, December 19, 2019 @ 2:07 AM

23. wrote:
Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.
Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However,
how can we communicate?

Tue, January 7, 2020 @ 7:42 AM

24. wrote:
I think the admin of this web page is truly working hard in favor of
his site, for the reason that here every stuff is quality based data.

Fri, January 24, 2020 @ 2:09 AM

Add a New Comment


code
 

Comment Guidelines: No HTML is allowed. Off-topic or inappropriate comments will be edited or deleted. Thanks.

Events Calendar